Dr. MacKay has been recognized by her peers as an outstanding researcher (American Academy of Ophthalmology Honor Award) and teacher (Richard C. Troutman Master Teacher Award In Ophthalmology). She was selected by her peers to be included in “The Best Doctors, New York Metro Area”, Castle Connolly; “The Best Doctors In America, Northeast Region”, Woodward/White; and “The Best Doctors In America”, Woodward/White.
She was co-director of the ERG clinic with Dr Peter Gouras at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital for 25 years. She was the first woman to achieve the rank of Clinical Professor of Ophthalmology at Columbia University (the highest academic title).
Retina specialist, general ophthalmology, laser treatment for eye diseases.
Established in 1978 |Dr MacKay is a graduate (cum laude) of Harvard College. She received her MD degree from SUNY Downstate Medical School which 25 years later, honored her with the Richard Troutman Master Teacher Award in Ophthalmology. She did her Ophthalmology residency at Edward S Harkness Eye Institute, Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons. She did special fellowship training in retinal disease at Bellevue and is Clinical Professor of Ophthalmology at Columbia University Medical School, the first woman to achieve that rank. She has published multiple papers in peer review journals.
New York Presbyterian Hospital
Manhattan Eye, Ear and Throat Institute
Clinical Professor of Ophthalmology, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
Ophthalmology (Board Certified)
- Harvard University: BA
- State University of New York – Downstate Health Sciences Center: Medical School
- Lenox Hill Hospital: Internship in Medicine
- New York Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center: Residency in Ophthalmology
- New York Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center and Bellevue Hospital: Fellowship in Retina
Areas of Expertise
- Retinal Diseases, including Diabetic Retinopathy, Macular Degeneration, Hereditary Retinal Disease, Sickle Cell Disease, Retinal Tears
- Laser surgery for eye disease, including glaucoma